Wednesday, March 24

Harmony Day

Harmony day was last week which is about dealing with culture, race and religious tolerance. So for Harmony day the Aboriginal school I volunteer at went on an excursion to another small school a long with the school for students with disabilities.
Unfortunately, even during Harmony day, people can be racist. I have never thought less of people of different race or considered them differently, and I am fascinated by different cultures so it shocks me when even young children make racist comments. I guess they must have been brought up with different attitudes than I was, but even so, I don't really understand why this thing goes on.
No that the disrest was one-sided. Kajika did get punched for making a comment that he was not willing to repeat.
Despite this, the day was great fun. Our school put on a performance of Aboriginal dances, there was a dance and a sausage sizzle. Highlights of the day for me included:
  • Dressing up with the kids for their performance.
  • Tangoing with Casey, the too-cool-for-school student
  • Freaking Luke out by trying to get him to dance with me.
  • Dancing while on crutches.
  • Telling Jahnali she could only eat the watermelon she had been told not to eat if no one saw her take it (there's no way I can be a teacher. I'm too mischievous when around little kids).
  • Ramsey, one of the kids who is always getting into trouble, saying "yeah I'm black, and I'm proud of it" to a kid after a racist comment.
  • Arguing with Casey over horror movie cliches
  • The look on Uriah's face after my mum (who is a teacher at the school) said that the 11-year-old she was dancing with from the other school was her boyfriend
  • Hannah.

The major downside, besides Kajika (isn't that an awesome name) getting punched, was discovering that orange face paint does not come off easily.

3 comments:

  1. That's great that you guys did that! *high fives Penguins Quack*

    I love learning about other cultures, too, so I have never really understood these kinds of attitudes, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had fun!
    :D.

    Oh, speaking of orange face paint that doesn't come off, did you watch The Bounce (new footy show on channel 7)?
    ...I just remembered that not everyone lives in Victoria, so I'll have to explain.
    On The Bounce, there was a story of some guy who put gold and brown facepaint on for a Hawthorn game (Hawthorn wear gold and brown stripes). And then, this guy realised he had a skin condition which means the paint STAYED on his face FOREVER. So sad.

    (But it was a joke, lol. Because Peter Helliar was acting as the guy with the facepaint on).

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Zella: Yeah, I just don't get some people.
    @ Laura: Never heard of it. Not really a footy fan either (only because I know the dockers with never go well (go the dockers!)). But it sounds pretty cool

    ReplyDelete