Monday, November 23

The Daughter of...?

I finally got around to reading Percy Jackson and I don't care if it's a kids book, I love kids books. Having been banned from reading books of my own choosing for about a year and only reading Great Expectations and Virginia Woolf it was a great relief and an awesomely fun time to read something so fun and easy.
In case you don't know what Percy Jackson is about I'm sure you want a summery or something but I really can't be bothered doing a good job so instead you get this:
Percy Jackson is this dyslexic ADHD twelve year old (so he's like my Legal Studies teacher crossed with that kid in year 8 except more interesting and less sleazy (I slapped that kid once. He was cruisin' for a bruisin' with those lines)). Some things go down and Percy finds out he's half Greek God (a half blood). Then things get awesome and he goes on a quest but I'm not going to tell you about it because that would spoil the book for you and I seriously couldn't be bothered.
Okay, well, moving on from my dodgy blurb that more described the crumminess of my school than the book.
Up until year 10 when I became intrigued in modern war history I was fascinated with Ancient mythology and I would still be able to retell any myth for you. The Dictionary of Greek Mythology was my most read book until I devastatingly lost it.
I loved reading Percy Jackson and revisiting my mythologically fascinated youth. It was packed full of mythological references which I was excited to find were pretty much accurate (except the author used the Roman Hercules), and I was thrilled by the references to my favourite myths.
(Just so you know, my top favourite myths are unfortunately all love stories: Eros and Psyche comes in as number 1, followed by Hero and Leander, Echo and Narcissus, then probably Persephone)
Anyways, I'll get to the point now (if I can remember what that was). So, this book got me wondering, if I was half blood which Greek god would I have as my parent?
My first thought was Artemis because she's my favourite goddess but the whole chastity thing could make things awkward.
Next I thought Hera. One day, I decided, Hera will want to give Zeus a taste of his own medicine and I want to be the product of that. (Is that a weird thing to want?)
Otherwise I would probably choose a minor god. I just don't really feel like Big 12 material. So, because it's my favourite myth, I want to be the daughter of Eros and Psyche. Psyche's a human so I'd still be half blood. I also like this idea because it would be absolutely awesome to call Aphrodite grandma.
So that settled it. I'm the daughter of Eros, grandkid of Aphrodite.
I realise this post was pretty much one big ramble but if you made it through it, who would you be the kid of? Which god is your parent?

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, hard choice. I love mythology too. I have a fondness for Pluto, but I am not sure why. But I also like Hera too. She seems like she is a bit less crazy, but still capable. I am not sure her and Pluto would get along too well though...

    I also love the Celtic/Norse myths. In that case, I'd be Rhiannon's daughter, although she's not a goddess. :)

    By the way, I am going to try to review the Perry Jackson series sometime during my winter break. Operative word being "try"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm peeved that my library only had the first im the series. That's the problem with small towns.
    I love Norse mythology too, and Egyptian. That's why Age of Mythology was the greatest game f my youth. Seriously, the Age of Empires Series is pretty much what got my Ancient history class to pass. It is actually historically accurate. I hate that that company went bankrupt so they don't make them any more.
    If I was the daughter of someone from Norse mythology I'd have to be Freya, easy. Or Loki. He's awesome. My brother used to idolise him which I suppose it kind of wierd.
    If I was an Egyptian kid then maybe my dad would be Horus. I'm not really sure. There are too many Egyptian gods.
    It would be awesome if you wrote a review. I would love to read it. I have such trouble writing reviews so I think you have a real talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mythology and stuff.
    I never liked Thor, because thunder scared me as a kid.

    I liked Freya because her name reminded me of Friday and I likes Fridays. :D.

    I only really know about Norse mythology because that's all my school taught. FAILLL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm pretty sure Friday comes from Freya's day (or Frey's day, Freya's brother), so it makes sense that Freya reminds you of Friday.
    As for who would be my parent, Athena maybe? She was the goddess of wisdom, I like knowing things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hades ALLL the way. I love Nico in the series, even though he's a little annoying at times. But all of that was thrown aside in my mind when he swallowed those skeleton warriors with a precipice. So cool. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Argh! Scott! Only read the first one! No spoilers! One day I'll find a decent library with the rest of the series.
    But Hades is one of my top choices, just behind Eros.
    And Laura, I was about an inch off being named Freya but my mum changed her mind at the last second because she thought grandma would rather a more traditional name. (instead I was named Penguins. How sad)

    ReplyDelete