Monday, May 17

My Revised List of Fictional Guys

Some people may remember my "I Prefer Guys Who Don't Exist" post from back in September last year? Well, after an 60+ comment argument with a friend on Facebook I realised I'd left quite a few guys off my list and have decided to update it. I should tell you that this argument was mainly me and my friend (who is listed as both my sister and wife on Facebook) arguing over who gets which Disney prince. The argument involved Napalm threats, page long rants of "MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE", something my brother's like to know as Skully's Rant and Robocop riding a unicorn. Eventually we came to the conclusion that I get Aladdin and the Beast and she gets Prince Eric, Dimitri (not quite Disney, but oh well), and John Smith. Someone else who came in half way through gets Shang.
But anyway, onto my revised list of fictional crushes.
  • Aladdin: This guy is loving and caring without being smothering and he is so cute when he asks Jasmine out for a magic carpet ride.
  • Artemis Fowl: This is a crush from a while ago. I especially like him in the first book when he's still the villain. And he's smart! Who doesn't like an intellectual?
  • Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird: Again, smart. And super kind and reliable. The marrying kind.
  • Bartamaeus from The Bartamaeus Trilogy: Screw Robin William's genie, Bartamaeus is the world's most hilarious Djinni and for some reason I can't help but fall in love with his cynicism.
  • Batman: He's a freakin' SUPERHERO! He's rich, famous, good looking, and his moodiness is sexy.
  • Briar Moss from The Circle of Magic series: For years I wanted to get a tattoo like his, but then I realised that mine wouldn't be able to move because I don't have plant magic and they would probably not be using plant based natural inks. Either way, Briar Moss is still simply exceptional.
  • Dimitri from Anastasia: I can't believe I lost this guy to her! I'm going to need to win him back some how. Any suggestions people?
  • Dr. Horrible from Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog: He is so sweet! I love the nevous, nerdy types. He's cute, he's loving (although a little stalkerish), he likes to think he's evil, he can sing, what more could you want?
  • Dustfinger from Inkheart: I don't really know what to say about Dustfinger, except that you know he's going to be sexy because he's a fire-eater.
  • Greed/Ling Yao from Full Metal Alchemist: Although the double personality thing may get kind of awkward, I suppose... But I loved them both, even before they were combined in the same body. Greed looks out for his comrades despite his, well, greed, and being a supposedly heartless homoculi. And Ling is just really really cool.
  • Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye: You've probably heard enough about how much I love him.
  • Indiana Jones: He's an archaeologist people! What's not to love?! (history nut, here). And Harrison Ford was totally hot until my teacher's wife pointed out that he looked like my dad. I've gone off Indie a bit since then...
  • John Smith from Pocahontas: One of the most realistic Disney characters I've ever come across. He's clever and awesome and, as Thomas puts it, "the legendary John Smith".
  • Kakashi from Naruto: I like my Naruto guys so I've actually omitted a heap Of the more embarassing ones) from this list. Kakashi has the cool guy thing down, but he's actually pretty deep. He's always arriving late places because he spends hours at the memorial for his friend. And he has the best excuses on the planet: "Sorry I'm late, I got lost on the road of life".
  • Martin the Warrior from the Redwall Series: So what if he's a mouse? His chivalry is super impressive and I concerntrated my Redwall readings on the one's featuring Martin the Warrior.
  • Mello from Death Note: He's probably one of the only characters in this series that doesn't scare the pants off me (besides Matsuda) but he's totally Badass. In fact he's my number one bad boy heart throb. He has the guts to use a gun, not some pissy little note book. And I can't help but sympathise with his "always second" inferiority complex (yes I'm looking at you, Chairman).
  • Nat Eaton from the Witch of Blackbird Pond: I first fell in love with him simply because of his name but he is playful and flirtatious and sweet and that makes him so god damn sexy!
  • Nathanial from The Bartamaeus Trilogy: I hated his guts beyond belief in the second one but when he finds himself again in the third how could I not fall head over heals for him?
  • Pagan from Pagan's Crusade: I don't think I can read a first person narrative with out in a way falling in love with the character. Pagan's thoughts make me laugh so much and never want to leave his side. *Fingers crossed that Pagan becomes real and proposes*.
  • Portgas D. Ace from One Piece: *Spoiler Alert* I bawled my eyes out so much when he died! Absolutely no one in the entire One Piece fan base wanted Ace to die. There were even online memorials for him. But his death was really well done. I mean, I cry pretty easily in fiction but One Piece is exceptionally good at making me cry for days and days. RIP Ace you will be missed (and I love you).
  • Ren Tsuruga from Skip Beat: *Fangirl scream* Perfect guy. Like so perfect I consider this fictional guy too good for me. People just shouldn't think like that. He's that amazing.
  • Roronoa Zoro from One Piece: The only reason I gave up John Smith and Dimitri to my friend was because I had spent the last couple of days swooning over this swordsman pirate. He fights for what he believes in and will sacrifice everything for his friends. His three swords are not compensation, O'Malley, he's just advertising.
  • Shikamaru from Naruto: Another smarty. His dream of an average life with an average job and an average life is really appealing to me and I love his laziness.
  • The Beast from Beauty and the Beast: is now officially mine! I'm sure Belle puts it well when she sings "There's something sweet and almost kind but he was mean and he was coarse and unrefined and now he's dear and so I'm sure I wonder why I didn't see it there before."
  • The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive: I have had a crush on the Flash (Barry Allen, Wally West, Bart Allen, whichever. Although preferably Wally) since I first saw him years and years ago on the Justice League of America. He's funny, clever, caring and Linda Park can go to hell.
  • Yukihito Yashiro from Skip Beat: He is so cute! Everyone thinks I'm insane for this one. Why Ren's manager when you could have Ren? Well, because he's adorable and sweet and his wild theories and attempts to set up Ren and Kyoko are so delightfully devious. He's just so CUTE!

I realise that this may have made some of my male followers feel a little awkward but I hope that they are willing to share some of their fictional crushes in the comments. So everyone, who are you in love with and who are you going to fight me for? (You're not going to win, by the way).

18 comments:

  1. *peers around demurely*

    I won't fight you for any, but I will contribute my own list. (May I also add the occasional TV/movie character? :D):

    Most of my favorite male characters are ones I secretly have a crush on.

    Hamlet: Angry, philosophizing Dane with severe family issues. He's just so complex--and that's why I like him.

    Sherlock Holmes: book version, not movie version. (Even though he hates women and snorts cocaine, he is mine! And he's British! ^^ *glares at everyone*)

    Captain Wentworth from Persuasion: He's just so gallant. :D

    Sweeney Todd: Well, he's . . . he's . . . Johnny Depp. What better reason do I need? I am sure he won't slit my throat with a straight razor, right? Right? :D

    Robert Goren: This is my TV one from Law and Order: Criminal Intent. Brilliant detective--based on Sherlock Holmes--who is crazy smart and quite possibly even more neurotic and dysfunctional than I am. I am currently in mourning, because he was taken off of the series. They fired him! *cries and weeps and wails* Not fair! Infamia! *stamps feet and throws several objects at wall* I am sorry--where was I? Oh, yes. Compose yourself, Zella. :(

    Edward Rochester from Jane Eyre--There is charm behind the sarcasm. :P

    Jay Gatsby: He's so determined and devoted. Daisy is an empty-headed skank. He's mine!

    Hector in The Iliad: He's so noble. I wish Homer would have doomed someone else to die behind that freaking chariot. :(

    Anton Chigurh: He's a hit man. Whatever. He's quirky and I believe he's secretly a nerd. He likes philosophy too much to not be. :D

    I also really liked Ralph in LOTF, but I really like Simon, too. (He's more dreamy. :D)

    There are more. Haha Many more but I'll stop now. :P I have noticed I have disturbing tendency to be attracted to fictional characters with lots of "issues." *sigh* Not a good thing, Zella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh! Sorry for the uber-long list!

    And rereading this, I am a bit worried about myself. If I ever met any of these guys, it would probably be at a psych ward! We could be crazy together . . . :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my list would, of course, be the opposite gender, but whatev. :D
    Annabeth from Percy Jackson is an immediate add. She's awesome!
    Katniss from the Hunger Games is just... awesome. I wasn't sure I liked her at first, and I realize she might not be incredibly hot, but skill and cunning more than makes up for that. :D
    Dors Venabili--So what if she's a robot? Any girl that can punch through steel is an instant win for me. :D
    These are only a few of the many, alas. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice post Penguins! I am notorious for fictional crushes. They may or may not occur more often than real crushes. :S
    *glances around awkwardly*

    On your list I definitely agree with:

    the Beast (Belle is my favorite Disney princess)

    Artemis- because Artemis is, to put it lightly, rather clever, and although he's a major jerk sometimes he's got a good heart. :D

    On your old list I was surprised to see Jem Finch (when he gets a bit older of course). When reading that book (I was 13 I think?) I felt crazy for liking him. Glad to know I wasn't alone. :D

    I shall add:
    Malcolm from Macbeth- it's a long story.

    Peter- chronicals of narnia. This is possibly my oldest fictional crush, I've been reading these books since I was seven.

    Aragorn- lord of the rings. For the obvious reason that he's awesome.

    Legolas- because he is an elf.

    Demi- from two of Louisa May Aclott's books. He's kind to his sister, smart, and sweet.

    Fred or George Weasley- Harry Potter. Because they're a hilarious riot. :D

    LOL Zella. You know you're a nerd when being at a psych ward with your fictional characters is something you actually consider. Not that I blame you, with those characters it wouldn't be half bad. ^^

    And with that, my post is successfully long enough to make me sound insane as well. xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zella, I took several of my more psych ward guys off this list just so I didn't seem too crazy. I very much like your list but I'll let you keep them since you weren't going to fight me for any of mine.
    And on my old list I had Johnny Depp listed. I have a crush on all his characters just because he's Johnny Depp (my mum feels the same way, though, and she's a lot closer to his age). Edward Scissorhands and Gilbert Grape are two notible ones.

    Scott, I only know Annabeth from your list and I think she has admirable traits. I love hearing about guys fictional crushes so feel free to add some of the others you didn't list.

    Feathers! Stay away from the Beast! You have know idea how much I tore my friend to pieces to get him.
    Jem would be good once he grew up. I'm glad I'm not alone there either. Also, I agree with Zella that Simon would be good if he was a lot older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeek! That should say no idea, not know idea...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe Feathery, I was thinking the same thing about nerdiness. My theory is that if I were in a pysch ward with all of my fictional loves, the more criminally insane ones would be balanced out by the more emotionally wounded ones. *wastes time thinking about these things* :D Your list is quite good, too! Aragorn and Jem are both wonderful. :D

    Penguins, Hehe I kept off some of my crazier fictional crushes, too. (The most notable one being Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights.) All Johnny Depp characters are marvelous. *swoons* Edward Scissorhand is amazing, but I will let you have him as long as I get his version of Ichabod Crane. (To add to my list of handsome, cerebral, neurotic detectives. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe, in exchange for Edward Scissorhands, you can have Ichabod Crane. This is a deal I'm actually happy with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a deal! *shakes Penguins' hand and abducts Ichabod before he can protest* :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't even read the list yet, and I already feel the need to comment.
    Dimitri is awesome, he's mine. :P.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My fictional crushes are:
    -Dimitri.
    -Jacob Black. ... Yeah, just shoot me now.
    -Crowley from Good Omens by Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman. OH GOD, HE'S AWESOME. ;).
    -Draco Malfoy. :D.
    -Phillipe from The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier. OH. MY. GOD. Win.

    And that's all I can think of right now.
    :D.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Piss off, Laura. Dimitri is mine. All mine! (exept that my friend won him in our deal). But still, MINE!

    And yeah, I'm going to shoot you for the Jacob Black one. Actually, my friend was dating a Jakob Black at one point. I asked if he had a brother called Sirius that she could introduce me to. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE MARTIN THE WARRIOR!!!
    Cough.
    Although, Mattimeo does have the smexy rebellion thing going on... hmm... and then there are the hares... so amazing... how can I choose? I'll have to reread the books and let you know ^^

    I also have to agree with Artemis Fowl, although he wasn't exactly my favorite character at the beginning, his pale geniusness stuck out more and more as the books went on ^^

    I really didn't like the Beast... until he transformed into the sexy guy at the end. Honestly, I don't understand how that ugly of a beast could turn into such hotness at the end!

    Nat Eaton was also pretty awesome... although, I was little when I read the series, so I don't really remember... hmm... perhaps it's time to reread.

    I guess I'll have to do a blog post with my own fictional crushes... awesome post, though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Laura--I'm straight, but CROWLEY IS AWESOME! I love love love him. He'd be an awesome friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Marauder - I haven't read Mattimeo! I've only read a few Redwall.
    I actually like Artemis more in the first than the others. He's more... badass... I like a villan, alright!
    And I also prefer the beast when he's the beast. I know, kinda wierd. I don't like that he's a pansy blonde. But he does have some georgeous eyes.

    @ Scott - That's when you say you find him very admirable. It sounds less gay then "I love love love him".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops, I left a fictional character off my list.
    I was meant to add Homer from Tomorrow When The War Began. :D.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, you have them for now. I being the mysterious "friend". My list of fictional me is roughly 120 and growing. It is a very sad state of affairs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, my mysterious friend, my list could be a heaps longer but I decided to leave many out. Some took a lot of debating to decide if I should put them on or not. Chika from Zombie Loan was one who just didn't make the cut cause I'm in love with too many manga characters.

    ReplyDelete