Sunday, May 30

Bucket Lists!

I've been away for a bit over a week and, while I was planning of giving you a sort of summery of my trip, I am too tired to be bothered with that right now but I do want to post something. So, instead, here's something I've been meaning to post for a while.
Really, I have two bucket lists. I have my "Things to Do Before I Die" list as well as my "I've Just Been Told I Have Weeks to Live" list.
I'll give you them both:
Things to do before I die
  1. Buy O'Malley the Superman and Batman Vs Aliens and Predator comic book. Because who doesn't want to buy their brother something that sounds that ridiculously epic?
  2. Fall in love
  3. Kiss in the rain (romantic much?)
  4. Learn Japanese. I love Japanese culture and would love to go to Japan and I would like to be able to read manga in its original form and watch anime without dumb dubbing or subtitles.
  5. Hang out in Cargo for a day. Cargo is a small town (about 100 people) in the absolute middle of nowhere but has about a bajillion sign posts directing you to it when I drive from my place to my Grandma's. They say all roads lead to Rome, but they're wrong. All roads lead to Cargo.
  6. Bungy jump off a bridge
  7. Go to Vietnam, Europe, Britain, The US, Japan and Central America
  8. Take mum to France and cruising the Greek Isles. When mum backpacked around Europe she boycotted France because of the Rainbow Warrior and always regretted missing it so one day I'd like to take her there, and the Greek Isles has always been a dream of hers.
  9. Hang glide
  10. Scuba dive
  11. Go to the Triple J café. This is a small cafe that has existed as long as I can remember on the road to visit my Grandma and I have never once stopped at it but have always wanted too. One of the draws is also that it's called the Triple J cafe and that's my favourite radio station.
  12. Drive a tractor along Edwardstown road. Look, basically, this road is the most perfect road for tractor driving. It's a thin farmers track that weaves through paddocks and is just asking me to drive a tractor along it. How can I refuse?
  13. Attend the major NaNoWriMo write in. Every November during National Novel Writers Month there is a major write-in, a gathering of participants writing together, which people from all over the world attend. I must attend one of these.
  14. Go to the Freo markets.
  15. Eat seafood on the Freo wharf. I used to live in Perth and some of my fondest memories are from Fremantle. I just want to do those things again before I die.

I've Just Been Told I Have Weeks to Live

If, under the circumstance that I come down with some incurable disease and find out I only have a short time to live, my bucket list is simply the lyrics to I am Dying Tomorrow by the Alkaline Trio, which I know is sort of cheating, but they sum up everything for me.

I'm Dying Tomorrow

I'm dying tomorrow
This house, this street, Chicago
I'm dying tomorrow
Did I do it right?
Did I remember to sleep in?
Take lots of pills?
Commit irreversible sins?
Did I at least try to kiss the prettiest girl at the right time?
Did I remember to keep your beer as full as mine?
Did I remember to say cheers?
Did I at least try to make sure everybody had a good time?
Had the best time?
Did I remember to stay up late?
Drinking for the fun?
Singing for the taste?
Did I run outside to kiss the rain
Under electrical skies?
I'm dying tomorrow
This house, this street, Chicago
I'm dying tomorrow

Did I do it right?

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE Alkalinte Trio :D

    Especially that song.

    Lists like that are hard to make...there are so many things that you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebel, I'm beginning to suspect you are my musical soulmate.

    ... Marry me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, you sure have a lot to get through before you reach 100.

    My "Things Before I Die" list would just be:
    -Marry Dale Thomas.
    -Have children Aidan, Hayden and Jayden.

    And yeah.
    Probably travelling the world is in there somewhere, idk.
    /brain not functioning today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, sounds like we need to go on a road trip. First to Snowball, to borrow a tractor, then to Brisbane, via Grandmas, to catch a plane to Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superman and Batman vs. Aliens and Predator! OMGWTFCROSSOVER!!!
    And then I agree with Chairman. We should do that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those places that you pass by a lot but never go inside just haunt you, huh? Know the feeling.
    I'd LOVE to attend a NaNoWriMo write-in! Those are by county, correct? I know they had one in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Laura: if I don't complete my list before I die I'm going to put it in my will that my family and friends must complete it.

    @ Chairman (the Phil to my Lil): A Roadtrip is a great idea! But why are me going to Brisbane? Sure, Brisbane would be awsome but it's not necessary for my list. Is it necessary for yours?

    @ O'Malley: MEGA CROSSOVER!!

    @ Scott: Yeah, there are local write-in's all over the place but there is also one major one that people from all over the world attend: The Night of Writing Dangerously Write-in. Last year it was held at the Julia Morgan ballroom in San Francisco and went for six hours (dinner and drinks included).
    Although, unfortunately you can't just show up. You need $200 worth of sponsership or something and there are limited numbers. Maybe I should just settle for a local write in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, Sydney is also an option. Somewhere with an airport. And Wellington is on the way to Brisbane (If we take a round-about route)

    ReplyDelete