Thursday, April 15

A Day in the Life of Penguins Quack

Both my beloved Zella (Grammatically Motivated) and Scott (Ergo) have written "A Day in the Life of..." articles on their blogs and I have been inspired to write one of my own.
May day's are pretty irregular. Because I broke my leg I've had to postpone Uni and I can't work so most days are spent bludging around the house. Except on Wednesdays and Thursdays I go with my mum to the school she teachers at as a volunteer. So here's a typical Wednesday/Thursday in the life of Penguins Quack.
6:45 - my alarm doesn't go off. I forgot to set it again. Instead I'm woken by mum's alarm going off in her room. Screw it. I'm not getting up.
6:50 - I realise mum will kill me if I don't get up but still can't be motivated to get out of my warm, comfy bed. I turn on my CD player. My theory says the Alkaline Trio will help me get up. For some reason Birds of Tokyo starts to play and I doze off again.
7:10 - Mum charges into my room telling me to get up. I tell her I already am, I just finished rubbing bio-oil on my scars. She leaves and I start rubbing bio-oil on my scars before putting on some jeans and my periodic table T-shirt.
7:15 - I stare into the fridge, then the pantry, then the freezer. I complain that there's nothing to eat for breakfast. I don't eat cereal and we're out of raisin toast. And bread. And milk. In the end I settle for mum's crumpets.
7:45 - Mum comes into the kitchen while I'm still eating and asks if I'm ready to leave. I'm not. I spent half an hour chatting to my brother, O'Malley, instead of getting ready. I run to the bathroom and brush my teeth while also brushing my hair and putting shoes on.
7:50: Mum makes me drive the 20 minute drive out to the small Aboriginal school she works at.
8:10 - We finally arrive. 10 minutes late. We go to the library where mum, the teacher-librarian, turn on the computer and sets up the borrowing system while I read picture books.
8:45 - School starts. All 23 students line up for morning notices and nose-blowing. For some reason we have to teach the kids how to blow their noses, and for some reason I have to participate. The kids then do two laps of the oval. Luke once again manages to get away with only doing half a one.
9:00 - Literacy. I take the slow learners out of the class. We do Look Say Cover Write Check with their spelling, I give them a test and then we do readers. The most boring stories ever written that i must read through about 4 times each day.
11:30-ish (I don't really know the school bell times) - Recess! Ramsey's about ready to thrash me with his reader and Maylan is asleep. The bell rings and the three of us enthusiastically run outside. I eat while chatting to the teachers. Someone asks Mr Nayler to peel their orange.
11:45-ish - Numeracy. I play snakes and ladders with the slow learners. The aim is number identification and counting forwards and backwards from a number. I lose the game, having gotten no closer to 100 that 20 the entire game.
1:15-ish - Lunchtime! At last! Escape! I flee from my horror, pledging never to play snakes and ladders again. Someone asks Mr Nayler to open their can of tuna.
1:45-ish - I have a choice. Take the infants for library with mum, or take the primary class for information tech. with Mr M. (the kids can't pronounce Reece's last name. I can't spell it). I take information tech. because Maylan wants me too. They're writing picture books for the infants class. Maylan and I spend all lesson trying to draw an alien on the un-oriented smart board.
2:30 - Mum returns and we do HSIE (human society in its environment). She's teaching "communities" so everyone has to draw a building in their community. At Natalie and Brianna's request I participate. I draw the doctors surgery. Then Brianna makes me draw a dolphin.
3:00 - Finally school ends and we head straight out to mum's friends place. He has a spa/hot-tub which I use for physio. Even when using it for physio, a spa is super-duper awesome.
4:45 - On the way home mum and I buy something for dinner because there's never any food in the house. When I say buy something for dinner, I mean a BBQ chicken.
5:00 - Finally home and I go straight to the computer. Facebook, Blogger, Twitter, Sparklife, Manga. On good Thursday afternoon's all the Shounen Jump manga's could be out. Otherwise I spend all evening refreshing the One Manga home page.
6:30 - We eat the BBQ chicken. Mum asks O'Malley how his day was and he gives an average answer. Mum and I then go and eat our dinner in front of the TV. O'Malley somehow manages to eat while playing TFC online.
7:00 - O'Malley and I wash up while mum goes for a walk. I then check Facebook and One Manga.
7:30 - after reading all my Shounen Jump I skype my twin brother, the Chairman, who is at a college in Canberra and whine about the latest Bleach to him. We then analyse everything that happened in Naruto to the point that an English teach would be shocked. We have nothing but praise for One Piece. I then complain that Skip Beat hasn't come out for three weeks and the Chairman hangs up on me.
8:30 - On Wednesdays I watch Spicks and Specks religiously, followed by Hungry Beast. On Thursdays I procrastinate until How I Met Your Mother at 9:00.
9:30 - I hope into bed and read and listen to music, at some point remembering to apply my bio-oil. I forget to set my alarm.
10:30 - Lights out. Music off.
11:40 - lights back on. Inspiration for something to write.
12:00 - back to sleep.
What do your day's involve?

9 comments:

  1. Penguins, you have to participate in the nose blowing because you don't know how to blow your nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My beloved Penguins! I just got finished urging you on my blog to post an article about your schedule when I refreshed my dashboard and saw you had.

    This was great! It had me LOLing throughout, especially the bit on the alarm clock. I hate alarm clocks, too...

    I didn't know The Chairman was your twin, though I did know he was your brother. That's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom works at an aboriginal school? Wow! That seems awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chairman! You did nose blowing when you were out there too!

    @Zella, I haven't posted anything for a while and when I saw that both you and Scott had I thought it might be fun. Yeah, Chairman's my twin. He's 15 minutes older and is always ahead of me in everything.

    @ Math is a... can I just call you Genius? I love that mum is at an aboriginal school because its also the districts centre for aboriginal ed. So the kids participate in aborininal ceremonies and cutural things. I've dressed up with them and learnt some wiragari. Its so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a twin? Your twin is the Chairman? Lucky and luckier!
    I wish I had a twin. She could be named Scottina.
    I may just have to get one, actually...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't have to do the nose blowing! I did have to do the star jumps, though, and fell over after the second one. I am so unfit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scottina would be awesome. You should definately get her.

    I attempted the star jumps while on crutches. Fun. (sarcasm hand is raised)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a twin brother?
    Wow.
    I have a twin brother* too. His name is Jack Watts and he plays for Melbourne in the AFL.


    *By "twin brother", I mean some guy who I stalk and did the same subjects as me in year 12. We're basically twins. (Not!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, Laura. I don't think my brother and I could have chosen more different subjects for year 12. He's a science geek and I'm a history/English nerd.

    But then, we both did advanced English and maths and chemistry and Ancient history

    ReplyDelete