Monday, October 11

Boring Examples of Literary Techniques

I haven't blog properly in ages and, rather than make it up to you with something fantastic, I'm just going to give you a quick update and leave you with this a boring exercise.

University is keeping me busy and I'll be more busy next month when I do NaNoWriMo again. The plan is to write a fantasy-western but since I've never written fantasy or western before, nor read any western and hardly read fantasy, I can't hope for much.
It's basically the story of a young, mood-based shapeshifter who goes on a quest to find his parents fighting in a war on the Frontier. Once I'm finished planning my plot I'll hopefully upload it and you can give me ideas for a title.

Now for the boring exercise:

Of the top of your head, give me examples of these literary techniques:

Alliteration: Ridiculous remixed rap (because the girl in the room opposite is playing obnoxiously loud, bad, music)

Irony: A hippy getting eaten by the animal it is trying to save

Metaphor: The lights were deafening

Oxymoron: fun-run

Paradox: 21 days since this sign was changed

Simile: Like starving wolves counting sheep we close our eyes, pretending to sleep. (Listening to the Alkaline Trio)

4 comments:

  1. Good luck for NaNoWriMo! :)
    I have uni exams until the 15th, so I'll probably be starting NaNo late this year.

    (Well, I started on the 15th last year too, and still managed to finish on time but hopefully this year will be different because hopefully I will get a job.)

    Whatever.

    I like the oxymoron one. Running isn't fun. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you call an idiot that got into Oxford University? An Oxymoron!!!!

    Sorry, that was really, really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That one isn't on her list: A pune, or play on words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen these so often this year in english studies.

    Western Fantasy? Try Dark Tower. Except don't, because it sucks.

    ReplyDelete