Wednesday, December 24

Sanity

I cannot say much on the subject, even after several days of contemplation, although I have formed, finally, some sort of conclusion in my mind:
We are all insane.
It has become my belief that everyone is born insane, or becomes so early into their childhood, and must work to gain their sanity.
I do have some sort of evidence to support my theory, and, although my source is fictitious, I find it reliable.
In Douglas Adams So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, John Watson, who calls himself Wonko the Sane, has built an Asylum for the rest of the world, "and hoped it would get better". Wonko the Sane decided it was necessary to build the Asylum after reading a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks.
With the words:
Hold stick near centre of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion.
I, too, have realised that the world must be insane, "...any civilisation that has so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilisation in which [people] could live and stay sane."
This realisation is the effort, the work I spoke of earlier, needed to achieve sanity. Without it the world will continue to stay crazy.
But even the realisation will not fully achieve you your sanity, what will I cannot answer. I believe it is something you must discover yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment